This is my first blog so be gentle. I attended the CE workshop on Social Networking Tools on Wednesday so of course I wanted to jump right in and get started. Rosie and I talked about setting up a blog to put down our thoughts and share the information we were gathering with our colleagues in FLLS. So I have sent out invitations to other NYLA attendees and hope that they will find the time to share their experiences. I have always found that I learn something at every conference or workshop I attend. Most of the time I do not have the opportunity to share this knowledge with others. Using this medium, perhaps others will be able to benefit from what I and the other attendees learned.
Not only did I learn about blogs, but we talked about Facebook.com, Skype.com for IM, webcams and phone calls, Twitter.com a microblog, and LibraryThing.com a site for cataloguing your books online enabling book discussions and posting reviews by users. Want to put pictures out there? You can use Flickr.com. We have all heard about YouTube.com for posting videos. Then there is Del.icio.us where you put all your bookmarks in one place.
The most important thing I learned is that you have to choose what will work for you. Choose the format that will fit into what you want to do. Posting a blog might not be the best way to communicate with your patrons. Just because something is available does not mean that you have to put it to use.
So that was day one for me.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you so much for setting this up. Once I get my act together I will be going through my notes for a report on the various workshops I attended. I can also email copies of the handouts for anyone who is interested.
Some of the staff here were wondering if they can also participate on this blog so that they, too, can learn from our experiences. Whatever you decide is fine.
The URL for the blog is
http://NYLAconference2007
.blogspot.com
Book Lady,
Thanks for inviting me to be part of a real blog and see how this works. I am very impressed! But when I was starting to fill out the information to be able to read the blog I was not sure who had sent it. I remembered talking with you and Rosie about this. Then when I got to your information I KNEW that it was OK and I did not feel like it was a "come on". I hope that other invitees will not be timid and delete your invitation.
Going to NYLA is always a great experience for me. I always learn many things. One quote from my last workshop that has stuck with me was "the public library should be a beacon in the community." This was in reference to designing a new library building and to be aware of the design of the building and how the lighting shows in the evening hours. But it could be applied in other situations as well.
I too will organize my notes and try to add to this page. Looking forward to reading other postings.
Post a Comment