Started off the day with the workshop on Intergenerational Projects. These were projects where children/teens partnered up with older adults for programs and activities. Handouts included information on the Veterans History Project. The teens in grades 8 and 12 interviewed WWII vets, videotaped their interviews and put together a booklet. Another library set up a program called "GrandPACTT-Grandparents and children using technology together". This was a 6 week program for both grandparents and their grandchildren. The grandparents learn parenting and literacy skills and how to use an educational software program while the children are in a separate room playing. Then there would be together time where the grandparents would teach the children how to use the software of the day. They also had things to do at home. A very comprehensive program.
Then came lunch. I decided to attend the RASS/LAMS noted author luncheon featuring Susan Cheever. It is always interesting to hear how an author decides what to write, how they hit on the idea for the book. She talked about how she came to write her current book American Bloomsbury: Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau: Their Lives, Their Loves, Their Work.
After lunch I took another walk around the Trade Show picking up some more handouts. Then I thought I would go to the session on RSS, Blogs and Library Service. I picked up the handouts and realized it wasn't going to hit what I was interested in so I went to the session on Creative Communication : Using Web 2.0 as a Management Tool. This added on to the CE workshop I attended. I was now familiar with the terminology and was able to keep up with what was being said. This included info on sites that can be used to effectively share documents, photos. To see the slideshow and all LAMS presentations go to http://del.icio.us/LAMS_NYLA. As part of the presentation, they showed a video clip from YouTube called Introducing Le book. It is very funny. Another handout was How to create your own PBwiki in 5 minutes. I haven't tried this yet. One more thing on my to do list.
There were 2 programs I wanted to attend next, so I sent my husband, who likes to listen to mysteries, to the Build the BEST Mystery Fiction Collection session where he picked up the handouts. I went to the Guys Read session. The presenter was very enthusiastic. However, she was in a school setting so she had a more or less captive audience. In the public library, you have to figure out how to get the kids into the library. I have the handouts if you are interested. There is also a website http://www.guysread.com/ started by Jon Scieszka.
Awards and the passing of the gavel went off without a hitch at the Inaugural Dinner. Congratulations to Kay Zaharis on completing the Leadership Academy. Get Sally to tell you about her trip to the Basilica.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment